The Best Vegan Hot Cross Buns Ever!
The most important step to creating beautiful light buns is in the dough making. It’s important to use a fresh yeast that’s active. Also, you want to have a warm place for yeast to active in. In winter I use my oven. I turn it on to 5o degrees for 5 minutes. I then switch it off and it’s the perfect place to put my dough and yeast. If the yeast or dough doesn’t rise or double in size, your dough will never work.
1 packet of dry yeast 7g
2 tablespoons of coconut sugar
1½ cups of nut milk lukewarm
4 cups of plain flour
2 teaspoons of ground mixed spice
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
3/4 cup of goji berries
2 tablespoons of maple syrup
1/4 cup of melted vegan chocolate
a small handful of fresh raspberries
2 tablespoons of flaked almonds
1. Place the yeast, sugar and the nut milk in a large bowl and set aside in a warm place for 15 minutes
2. The mixture will start to foam, indicating that the yeast is active and working
3. Add the flour, mixed spice, cinnamon and goji berries to the yeast mixture and mix until a sticky dough forms
4. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for around 5 minutes or until elastic and smooth
5. Then place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a clean, damp cloth and set aside in a warm place for 45 minutes or until doubled in size. This is an essential step. If your dough isn’t rising it’s an indication that the area isn’t warm enough
Your dough should look something like this picture below
6. Divide the dough into 10 to 12 pieces and roll into balls. Arrange the dough balls in a flat baking tin lined with non-stick baking paper. Cover with a damp cloth and set aside in a warm place for 15 minutes until risen and double the size again
This is how your buns should look before they double in size.
8. Preheat oven to 180 degrees
9. Glaze the tops of the buns with a little maple syrup before adding them to the oven. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden and springy to touch.
10. Once cooked remove from oven and drizzle with warm chocolate, sprinkle with nuts and raspberries
Makes 10 to12